When I first heard the news of Park Bom's 'drug smuggling' scandal, it shocked me beyond belief. I hadn't yet read the article yet but, knowing that kind of person Bom is, it all seemed ridiculous. The idea that celebrities may dabble in different types of drugs is not foreign to me at all. I'm not the kind of fan who lives in fallacy - people aren't perfect and, while some of what people do may not be forgivable to me (such as DMTN's Daniel Choi who, personally, I don't think will be returning to the public eye for quite a while), I would not delude myself into thinking that everyone is a good person.

However, Park Bom has always been a different case for us. Although there is talk about her alleged plastic surgery habits, the fact has remained that she is an incredibly bright and bluntly honest girl. As a Blackjack, I knew that well and I'm sure that many other Kpoppers will acknowledge that about her too.

And so, I was highly relieved when I read the article. Personally, I feel that it was purposefully blown out of proportion by people trying to fuel fan wars. Aside from it being a case from four years ago, the term 'smuggling' was also inappropriately used as she wasn't sneaking the medication in but rather receiving it through her family, the reason being that her illness was kept a secret from everyone - YG Entertainment, her members and her fans. The 'drugs' in question turned out to be medication she was prescribed while still living in the states in order to treat her depression and, possibly, PTSD (this is just my belief and how I read Yang Hyun Suk's open letter).

For this reason, this entire scandal should not exist. The case is something that Bom desperately wanted to keep in the dark from everyone. She works hard every day to do what she loves, to live even amongst all the hate she receives and to show her fans a bright image. She always tries to inspire her fans with her joyousness and, I guess, for her to have such a dark past really burdened her. For the same reason people choose not to bring up Sandara's history, the same courtesy should be given to Bom.

Instead, there are apparently still outcries from the public saying that she should have faced jail time for this. Perhaps I am a more lax person when it comes to scandals like this, but I simply don't understand. To me, I feel that people are just using this as an excuse to bring Bom and the rest of 2NE1 down. They are not a group without their haters, but we all know I think fan wars are stupid and immature.

The fact is that the case was dropped four years ago for the reason that adequate proof was given that the 'drugs' were used for medication purposes and not for recreation. Since finding out about that, Bom hasn't been abusing her power as a celebrity to keep receiving the amphetamines but rather switching to a legal Korean alternative. It's so utterly clear that she is innocent here.

Plus, look at her. Does she seriously look like she's hooked on prescription drugs? I know that appearances can be deceiving but these kpop idols keep intense schedules and work out routines that require them to be in excellent health. Her dedication to herbal medicines and other health care products is also proof that she is a very body conscious person.

I believe in you Bom.

No matter how many people try to bring you down, your fans are with you and, obviously, YG Entertainment is with you too.


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.